Updated on October 18th, 2018
Living a life you love resonates with many of us women around mid-life. But what is it?
A life you love might be focused on meaningful work. Or balance earning a living equally with time for your loved ones, your passions and your self. It might be paced at a rhythm that suits your nature, have your own, perhaps alternative, professional practice at its core, or strong spiritual notions at its heart.
Really, it is whatever it is for you!
So how do you know you’re living it?
You’ll probably feel it in your general well-being and zest for life.
Or, you could take this little test:
Just put a tick to every statement that rings true for you right now!
- You know what you’re about and where you’re going in life.
- What you do feels aligned with who you are.
- How you live suits your natural rhythm; you live a balance that’s right for you.
- There are at least some aspects of your life that give you a sense of purpose.
- You feel connected to others and to something greater than yourself.
- You are a conscious, empowered, active player in your own life.
- You get satisfaction from expressing yourself. You feel able to stand at your full height.
- You have strategies, tools and people to help you through the tough times.
- You feel generally happy and satisfied with your life.
- You radiate the life you love. Other people comment on how well and happy you look.
How many did you tick?
More than 8? Chances are you really love your life – unless those few unticked items really bug you!
Between 5-8: You love some of your life, but there’s room for improvement, too…
Less than 5: Chances are you’re not very happy with your life at the moment.
Need a quick boost?
Wherever you stand, look at the statements you’ve NOT ticked:
Which is the most urgent one for you to address?
Jot down ideas for how you could do that: What could you do in order to improve in that area?
Which idea seems easiest to put into practice? And what could you do about it today?
And how do you create a life you love?
Well, it’s not a one-off objective you tick and then it’s done. Rather, I see it as a process unfolding over a lifetime!
It’s as much about purposefully moving towards what feels right for you, as about allowing to emerge what’s in you. And regularly reviewing, adjusting and enhancing your life to be in step with who you are or have become.
It’s about knowing and befriending yourself intimately and compassionately. Being true to your maturing and developing self as you get older. And expressing your talents as best you can, for your own and other people’s benefit.
At times, it may mean merely tweaking the life you are already living.
At other times, it may mean making a marked and significant change.
And at yet other times, when everything is just as you want it to be, it may mean just relaxing into it, and just be, live and enjoy! 🙂
In any case, a life you love is not a perfect, problem-free life. But it is driven by what is important to you, so that you love your life with both its strengths and challenges, because it is, well, quintessentially an expression of you.
Don’t know what the life you love is?
You’re not alone!
I’ve created a process to help you find out. Read more about it in my blog post My Ultimate Guide to Changing Your Life.